Do they need a tax adviser?

By David Searl Friday, 11 May 2018 12:31 0


My partner and I have lived in Spain for seven years. We have lifetime residency and NIE. We live on our pensions and do not pay tax in the UK, as we do not earn enough. Some people tell us we must register for tax in Spain and some tell us we don’t have to. A website tells us that if we earn less than €22,000 per year, we do not have to register in Spain. We are now confused. I have recently begun earning from buying shares in properties with a Spanish company, and so I agree I must now register. Can you please clear up the matter?

N K (Costa Blanca)


YES you must declare for Spanish tax. Here is a simple rule: if you reside officially in Spain, your worldwide income is subject to Spanish tax. In your case, you want to find a Spanish tax consultant who speaks English so you can understand. Ask your friends. The limit of €22,000 applies only when the income received has been subject to Spanish withholding tax during the year. Clearly, this does not apply to a UK pension.

Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at, or call 952 667 090.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

Posting comment as a guest.
0 Characters
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Poll of the Week

Do you think it’s important to speak Spanish, living or holidaying in Spain?

New online edition graphic

© 2018 EWN Media Group, Avenida Ramon y Cajal 54, Edificio River Playa, Local 2, 29640 Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain. Telephone: +34 951 38 61 61. No part of this website may be reproduced without written permission from the publishers. All rights reserved. Todos los derechos reservados. 
Privacy Policy - Legal Notice - Cookies